The Sheppards were living here from at least the 1770s.In 1786 Wilson refers to Castle Sheppard as the seat of "Mr. Shepherd". It was the home of a junior branch of the family. William Sheppard was resident in 1837 and in the early 1850s when the house was valued at £26 and held from Lord Ashtown. William died at Castle Sheppard in 1852 without heirs and both his brothers died unmarried in India. Valued at £18 in 1906 and occupied by the Honourable Cosby G. Trench. This house is now a ruin.