In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books describe Ballinwear as "a good dwelling house...surrounded with plantation and ornamental ground". James Otway is recorded as the occupier of Ballinwear at the time of Griffith's Valuation. At this time the house was valued at £14 and held from the Earl of Norbury. Toler Kingsley Wolfe was the house occupant in 1867. The Ballinwear property had been leased to Caesar George Otway by the Honourable Otway Fortescue Toler in 1859. The house was later altered and a building is still in existence at the site.