Shanbally was occupied by John Gasson in 1814 but had become the home of Peter Smithwick by 1837. He held the property from Samuel Gason in the mid 19th century when the house was valued at £26.13 shillings. The Ordnance Survey Name Books describe it as "a good dwelling house". In 1894 Slater refers to it as the residence of John Smithwick. It is still extant.