Lewis writes that Castle Fogarty was "the ancient seat of the O'Fogarty family from whom it descended to the present proprietor J. Lanigan". He describes it as a "square castellated mansion, with embattled towers at the angles". The seat of the Lenigan family in the 18th and 19th centuries [held from the Earls of Portarlington until the fee was purchased in the mid 19th century]. Noted by Slater as the seat of Captain Vivian Ryan-Lanigan in 1894. Though the castle is a ruin since it was burnt in 1922 there is a residential wing on the site. in 2018 it was offered for sale.