Taylor and Skinner record the Earl of Clanwilliam as proprietor of Ballygrifffin, Golden, in the 1770s. In 1786 Wilson refers to two properties owned by the Earl in this area "on the left of Golden is Lisheen, a seat sometimes occupied by the Earl of Clanwiliam, contiguous to which is Ballygrifin, where his lordship has a very fine range of stables and other offices". The house now at Ballygriffin is a mid 19th century house incorporating the remains of a a tower house. Occupied by Edmond [Edward] Dalton in the mid 19th century when the buildings were valued at £16.10 shillings and held from Charles Bianconi. Edward Dalton's son John Edward Dalton of Golden Hills owned 161 acres in the 1870s.