A 16th century house built by the 10th Earl of Ormonde, which was abandoned by the family in the 18th century. Lewis wrote in 1837 “The castle is still a stately building although much of it is in ruins; it was for many years the residence of the Ormonde family, and part of it has been converted into a private residence”. At the time of Griffith's Valuation it was vacant and valued at £19. Taken over by the Office of Public Works in the 20th century and restored as a national monument. Now functions as a museum.