The Pigotts were established at Chetwynd in the early 18th century and Wilson refers to it as their seat in 1786. By the end of the century they were resident in county Laois. In 1837 J. Forrest was the proprietor of Chetwin and in the mid 19th century William Bateman occupied the house, valued at £25, which he held from John Dennis. Two houses are marked on the first Ordnance Survey map for Chetwynd. It is not clear which one was the Pigott house.