In 1850, Horsehead was being leased by James Craig from William Lane and was valued at £60. In November 1859 it was offered for sale as part of the Boland estate. Lewis refers to it as the seat of S. Lane in 1837, "an elegent mansion in the Tudor style". In 1943 the Irish Tourist Association Survey noted that the horses of the Duke of Wellington's cavalry had grazed on the front lawn at Horsehead prior to embarking for Europe. It is still extant and occupied.