James Courcey was leasing Castle Downeen from Rev. John Smyth in 1851 when it was valued at £23 10s. Lewis refers to the house as the seat of R. Smith in 1837. Shown as a Smith residence on Taylor and Skinner's 1783 map. In 1944 the Irish Tourist Association Survey refers to "Duneen" as "now a farmer's dwelling". It is now a ruin.