Originally a seat of the Barry family, Earls of Barrymore, it had become a Coppinger home by the mid 18th century. Wilson refers to it as the seat of Mr. Coppinger in 1786 and also notes "the castle of Barry's Court". It was the residence of William Coppinger in 1814 and in the early 1850s, when it was held from Sir William Clarke and valued at £22. Following William's death in 1862 this property passed to his nephew Morgan John O'Connell. Bence Jones records it as a ruin but the original medieval castle has been refurbished and is now open to the public. In the 1940s the Irish Tourist Association survey included a description of both buildings.