The main residence of the Nason family in the 18th century, John Nason was resident in 1814 and Pierce Cotter in the early 1850s. Cotter held the property from Thomas Wise and the buildings were valued at £19+. In May 1863 Pierce Joseph Cotter's estate at Mellifontstown, containing the house, demesne and 246 acres was advertised for sale. It was held on a lease dated 1852 from Francis Wise to Pierce Cotter for 185 years. A new house now stands on the site.