According to McTernan, Belville was built by Peter Rutledge on the occasion of his marriage to Catherine Ormsby in 1808. The house was occupied in the 1830s by James Rutledge. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, it was occupied by Margaret Ormsby Ruttledge, leasing from the Cooper estate and was valued at almost £4. By 1876 it was the seat of Robert McMunn who owned 582 acres in county Sligo. It was partly demolished in the twentieth century.