Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|Description:||This house, overlooking the River Blackwater, may have been part of the Widenham estate which passed to the Smyths. The site had earlier associations with the poet Edmund Spenser. Wilson, writing in 1786, refers to "Rinny, the seat of Mr. Nagle, which was formerly part of the estate of the immortal Spenser". In 1814 the Reverend C.P. Wallis was the occupant. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the house was occupied by Henry Smith who held the property in fee, the buildings were valued at £23. Henry Smyth advertised the house and 541 acres for sale in May 1851, all it required at that time was a "small outlay in paint and paper to make it at once fit for occupation". In 1885 Walford noted Renny as the seat of John Blackburne. Hajba writes that the last occupant was Captain [Pepper] Roberts. The Earl of Listowel demolished the house following the Captain's death in 1900 though many of the buildings shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map had already disappeared by then.|
|Poor Law Union:||Fermoy|
|OS Sheet Number:||34|
|OSI Grid Reference:||W703 995|
|Latitude / Longitude:||
[ Google Earth ] [ Google Maps ]
[ show nearby ]