Originally a Roche stronghold which was granted to William Thornhill a Cromwellian soldier. It remained the seat of the Thornhill family until the mid 19th century. The old castle was incorporated into a castellated mansion in the 1830s. Lewis writes in 1837 that the ‘present extensive castellated mansion was rebuilt by Mr Thornhill after designs by Mr Flood, in the Elizabethan style’. Sold by the Thornhills in the mid 19th century to the Reeves family in whose possession it remained until the 1930s. Still extant and occupied.