Francis Hodder held this property in fee at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £24 10s. Lewis also refers to it as his seat in 1837. Local sources suggest that It was originally built by the McCarthy family and later acquired by the Hodders. In the 1940s the Irish Tourist Association survey refers to it as being occupied by F. Dorman, retired engineer, and that it was the oldest occupied castle in Éire. Though much altered over the years, it is still extant and occupied.