At the time of Griffith's Valuation Alderford was leased by the representatives of William F. McDermottroe to Catherine Thompson and was valued at £25. In 1814 it was the seat of Thomas McDermottroe. Lewis also records it as the seat of the latter in 1837. Alderford is famous for its associations with Turlough O'Carolan, the Irish harper, as he died there in 1738 and is buried nearby in Kilronan. This house, however, was built in the early 19th century. It was the seat of Thomas Charles McDermottroe in 1894. It is still extant but in a dilapidated condition.