Castle Ishen was the seat of the Fitzgerald family from the mid 17th century until the late 19th century. In the late 18th century the castle was replaced by the house which stands today. In the 19th century the house was occupied by the estate agents, members of the Hannigan and O'Leary families although Lady Fitzgerald, widow of the 8th Baronet, is recorded as the occupier at the time of Griffith's Valuation. She held the house valued at £10+ in fee. Her sons were both minors at the time. Hajba writes that the O'Learys purchased the house in the early 20th century. In 1944 the Irish Tourist Association Survey noted that they had first come there in the 1790s. Castle Ishen is still extant.