In 1868 the building of Dromore Castle began. It was an elaborate country retreat for the 3rd Earl of Limerick designed by Edward William Godwin. In 1906 this mansion house was valued at £75.10 shillings. The 4th Earl of Limerick did not visit Ireland very much and the castle was sold in 1939. In 1944 the Irish Tourist Association surveyor refers to the castle as the property of Mr M.McMahon, a timber merchant of Limerick, who bought the property in 1941 for a reputed £8,000. By the mid 20th century it had fallen into disrepair and the roof was taken off. Plans to develop the site and to demolish the ruin are current issues discusssed in the local and national press.