Rev. Maurice Townsend held this property in fee at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £37. Lewis recorded it as the residence of Col. Townsend in 1837. In the later 1770s it was also the seat of the Townsend family. Wilson, writing in 1786, refers to Castle Townsend as the seat of Richard Townsend, "beautifully situated by Glandore Harbour". In 1906 it was owned by Charles L. Townsend and valued at £53. In 1945 the Irish Tourist Association Survey dated the present structure to 1860 noting that the previous house had been badly damaged by fire in 1858. It is still held by the family and accommodation is offered in part of the property. See http://www.castle-townshend.com.