In 1786 Wilson had noted Palmers Town as the seat of Mr. Palmer. The original Palmer house is marked "in ruins" on the first Ordnance Survey map of the late 1830s. The Irish Tourist Association File states that it was destroyed by fire when the French forces passed by in 1798. In the mid 19th century Henry A Knox, fifth son of Annesley G Knox of Rappa, leased the townland from Sir William Palmer. Knox lived in a house converted from part of the yard buildings of the original house before the mid 1850s. His descendants continue to live there today.