Lewis refers to Hillgrove as the residence of J. Primrose in 1837.In the 1830s, the Ordnance Survey Field Name Books described it as " a rectangular building with two wings, all two stories high and in good repair". Bary states that Hillgrove House was built by John Primrose, senior, agent to the O'Connell estate, in the early nineteenth century. It was being leased by John Primrose, (possibly son of the earlier John) to Denis Coughlan, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £19 5s.The property was offered for sale in July 1854 in the Encumbered Estates Court when David O'Connor is recorded as the tenant at Hillgrove. Primrose was also a principal lessor in the parish of Caher at this time. Hillgrove is now demolished and much modern development has taken place in the area.