Rev. Richard Herbert was leasing a property valued at £21 to John Leahy at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. He was also leasing a mill, valued at £90 to Richard and John Leahy in the same townland. Lewis records South Hill as the seat of J. Leahy in 1837. Bary states that the house was probably built in the earlier 18th century though it may have been renovated in 1810, probably by the Leahys, in whose family it remained until the end of the 19th century. The Irish Tourist Association survey in the early 1940s reported that it was the private residence of Mr.R. Hilliard. It is now a luxury guest house. See www.coolclogherhouse.com.