Cahernane House was the property of Rev. Richard Herbert at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, when it was valued at £22. Lewis mentions it as the seat of H. Herbert in 1837. Bary indicates that this house, originally built in the early 18th century, was replaced in the 1870s when the present building was constructed. The property was sold by the Herbert family at the end of the 19th century and is now a luxury hotel. In the 1940s though, the Irish Tourist Association reported that the gardens were well-maintained by Miss Herbert. See www.cahernane.com.