Thomas and Andrew Kirkwood had houses in this locality in 1814. Thomas resided at Hermitage and Andrew at Lakeview. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Andrew Kirkwood was occupying a property at Cloongownagh, barony of Boyle, valued at £13. Keenehan and others state that Cloongownagh House was built in 1690. It was occupied by the Kirkwood family until 1939 when Col. Moore Kirkwood sold the house and 109 acres. The house is still extant and occupied and is now part of a farm.