Muriel L. Athy writes that the castle was occupied by Martin Blake in 1835, although it is recorded in the Ordnance Survey Name Books as the property of Mr. French. The property later passed into the hands of Mr Fair "who built against it a Tudor house", his descendant Dr Fair of Ballinasloe sold it to the Estates Commissioners". Owned by James Malley in the early 20th century. Described by Bence Jones as a tower house with an attached wing. Still occupied, it now operates as a bar and restaurant.