- The Blakes had owned an estate at Corbally, parish of Ardrahan since the 15th century. In 1824 a Blake of Corbally was described as a resident proprietor in county Galway but shortly afterwards they were obliged to sell to the Dalys when the estate became known as Castledaly. In 1756 they had sold Aghrim Castle,in the parish of Athenry, to the Lamberts who built a house at the site and renamed it Castle Lambert.
Lambert (Castle Lambert)
- During the 19th century the Lamberts, a junior branch of the Lamberts of Creg Clare, county Galway, had an estate of over 5,000 acres, mainly in the parish of Athenry, barony of Clare, county Galway. In 1756 they bought their estate, originally known as the Aghrim or Moor estate, from the Blakes of Corbally in settlement of a debt. The Lamberts built a new residence and renamed the property Castle Lambert. The estate was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates’ Court in 1855 and included lands in the baronies of Clare, Leitrim and Athenry. The Trousdells of Kilrush, county Clare, bought an interest in the estate at this time. Thomas Lambert had married Sarah Trousdell in 1850. Almost 40 years later the estate was again sold, in June 1892, having been proposed for sale as far back as March 1887, when the owner was Giles Eyre Lambert. Frank Shawe Taylor of Castle Taylor bought over 1,200 acres with the two houses, Castle Lambert and Moor Park. In the 1870s Captain Thomas Lambert had owned 2621 acres in county Galway and 989 acres in county Mayo. This branch of the Lambert family is well documented in the collection of S. & R.C. Walker, solicitors, in the National Archives.
Osborne (Newtown Anner & Beechwood)
- The Osbornes were established in county Waterford from the early 17th century and were granted lands in counties Waterford and Tipperary in the 1660s. Sir William Osborne succeeded his father in 1743 and married Elizabeth Christmas of Whitfield, county Waterford and had five sons. The eldest, Sir Thomas, had a son William and a daughter, Catherine Isabella, who inherited the Osborne estates following the deaths of her father and brother. The baronetcy passed to her uncle Henry, 10th Baronet. Catherine Isabella married Ralph Bernal in 1844 and he assumed the additional surname of Osborne. They had two daughters, Edith, who, in 1874, married Henry Arthur Blake, grandson of Peter Blake of Corbally Castle, county Galway, and Grace, who, in the same year, married the Duke of St Albans. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Ralph B. Osborne MP, held an estate in the parishes of Killaloon, Kilsheelan and Newchapel, barony of Iffa and Offa East and Aglishcloghane, barony of Lower Ormond, while Lady Osborne held land in the parish of Templenoe, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary. He was also among the principal lessors in the parishes of Killaloan, Rathgormuck and St. Mary's (Clonmel), barony of Upperthird, county Waterford. The trustees of Mrs. Osborne were among the principal lessors in the parishes of Colligan, Kilrossanty, Monksland and Stradbally, barony of Decies-without-Drum at the same time. Hussey de Burgh records Catherine Isabella Osborne as the owner of over 12,000 acres in county Waterford in the 1870s while the return of 1876 records her acreage as 5,832 acres. Her husband Ralph B. Osborne owned 942 acres in county Tipperary and her cousin, Sir Charles Stanley Osborne, 13th Baronet of Beechwood, Nenagh, owned 940 acres in county Tipperary. In the mid 19th century Sir William Toler Osborne (succeeded his father Sir Daniel T. Osborne 11th Baronet in 1853), grandson of Sir Henry Osborne, held land in the parishes of Ballygibbon, Ardcrony and Kilruane, baronies of Upper and Lower Ormond and in 1856 part of his estate at Graigue, adjoining the Beechwood demesne, was advertised for sale.