- Walter Taylor was granted almost a thousand acres in the barony of Kiltartan, county Galway in February 1667. Following a marriage in 1825 it became the Shawe-Taylor estate and included lands in the parish of Kilmacduagh, barony of Kiltartan, county Galway in 1855. The Shawe-Taylors also held extensive property in the barony of Dunkellin. Sir John Taylor, of Castle Taylor, is recorded as the proprietor of lands in the parish of Beagh, barony of Kiltartan, and the parish of Kilcolgan in the 1830s. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record their agent as George Cuppage of Galway. The main house on the estate was at Castle Taylor, formerly Ballymagrath, close to the village of Ardrahan but they also held another house in the townland of Monksfield, between Ardrahan and Craughwell. This had been acquired from the Morgan family. In 1778 the Taylors also had a property at Raheen, closer to Gort. In 1906 Walter Shawe Taylor held over 400 acres of untenanted demesne land at Castletaylor South as well as a further 1100 acres of untenanted land in the parishes of Killinny and Kilmacduagh.
The Shawe-Taylor estate was sold to the Land Commission in the 1930s by Michael Shawe-Taylor who was the last of the family to live there.
- The Morgan family had acquired the Monksfield estate during the 17th century and were Cromwellian settlers of Welsh origin. By patent dated 8 Feb 1667 they were granted lands in the barony of Dunkellin, county Galway, the barony of Erris, county Mayo and in county Clare. In 1824 Charles Morgan is recorded as a resident proprietor in county Galway. The Morgans were obliged, due to indebtedness, to sell the estate in the 1850s. The county Clare portion, 770 acres at Cappagh in the barony of Burren, was advertised in December 1854. The Rev. Henry Morgan was Rector of St. Nicholas' church, Galway at this time.
- At the time of Griffith's Valuation a house valued at £30 in the townland of Hampstead, parish of Ballymacward, was leased by Ellen Morgan and her sisters to Martin Blake. Over 250 acres of land at Garrymore and Hampstead, barony of Kilconnell, the property of Henry McNamara Morgan, were offered for sale in the Land Judges' court in June 1878 and January 1879. The original lease governing this property was dated 1718 from the Earl of Arran to Richard Warburton. In the 1870s Mrs M Morgan of Wellimount [Willmount], Athenry, Mrs Jane Mahon of Hampstead and Capt Butler of the Navy and Military Club owned over a thousand acres in county Clare. see McNamara Morgan entry