- In 1666 Sir George Lane was granted lands in the counties Dublin, Meath, Kilkenny, Longford, Waterford and Cork. Sir George was the son of Richard Lane of Tulsk, county Roscommon and was granted the Irish peerage title, Viscount Lanesborough, in 1676. He was Secretary of State for Ireland and received lands in the baronies of Roscommon and Ballintober, county Roscommon and in county Longford in April 1678 and May 1679 respectively. Weir notes that these grants were further augmented by the purchase of the Duke of Buckingham's Irish estates in 1710. In 1724 the Lanesborough title became extinct with the death of his son. The Lanesborough estates in England and Ireland were inherited by the 2nd Viscount's sister who was married to Henry Fox. Though the Longford and Roscommon properties were sold to Luke White in 1819, the Lane-Fox family continued to hold substantial property in both counties Leitrim and Waterford. In 1848 George Lane Fox junior, was High Sheriff of Leitrim. For the most part they were absentee landlords, their estates being managed by a succession of stewards, including Joshua Kell, who was a member of the Grand Jury for Leitrim in 1851. The property at Larkfield was leased for a long period to the O'Donnell family who built a house there. At the time of Griffith's Valuation in 1850, George Lane-Fox was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Drumcannon and Kilburne, barony of Middlethird, county Waterford. In 1848 he also held townlands in the parish of Kilbarry, barony of Gaultiere. The Waterford estate amounted to over 5000 acres in the 1870s. In October 1856 and again in June 1860, Matthew Anthony Fox offered for sale, in the Landed Estates Court, his interest in the lands of Cross (otherwise known as Mount Wilkinson), barony of Gaultiere, county Waterford. These lands were part of an original 1741 lease agreement between Samuel Barker and Geoffrey Wilkinson. In June 1857, George Lane Fox had offered for sale over 3000 acres of his Waterford estate in the Encumbered Estates Court. The Freeman's Journal gives details of the purchasers. The family sold the bulk of their remaining Irish estates to the Land Commission in the early years of the twentieth century.
Lane (Co Cork)
- The estate of William Lane executor and devisee of Samuel Lane, deceased, in the city of Cork and baronies of Cork and Kerricurrihy, county Cork and in the city of Waterford was advertised for sale in May 1855. In the 1870s various members of the Lane family owned properties of less than 500 acres in the vicinity of Cork city, including William Lane of Vernon Mount who owned 264 acres, Thomas R. Lane of Newenham Terrace who owned 459 acres and James Lane of South Mall who owned 469 acres in county Cork and 226 acres in county Limerick. This family were possibly connected to Sir George Lane, Viscount Lanesborough, who was granted lands in the counties Dublin, Meath, Kilkenny, Longford, Waterford and in the barony of Kerricurrihy, county Cork in 1666.