- The Carews of Woodinstown, county Tipperary, were a branch of the Carew family, Barons of Castle Boro and Woodstown, county Waterford. Lynn Carew was the fourth son of Robert Carew who married Anne, daughter of Andrew Lynn of Ballynamona, county Waterford in the 1670s. His older brother, Andrew, founded the Ballinamona Carews. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Robert Carew held an estate in the parishes of Cooleagh and Knockgraffon, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. Lynn Carew held land in the parishes of Outeragh, barony of Middlethird and Relickmurry and Athasssel, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary. The fee simple estates of Robert Carew of Woodenstown, amounting to over 2,000 acres, were advertised for sale in November 1854. In the 1870s Richard Carew of Woodinstown owned 1,277 acres in county Tipperary and Joseph Carew of America owned 725 acres. The lands of Glenegat, barony of Middlethird, the estate of Richard Reginald Carew were advertised for sale in November 1878. Glenegat had been previously advertised in November 1855.
- This branch of the Carew family descend from the family established at Castleboro, county Wexford. Robert Carew, of that family, married Anne Lynn, daughter of Andrew Lynn, of Ballinamona Park, county Waterford. Andrew Lynne was granted lands in counties Waterford and Tipperary in 1666. Robert and Anne's second son, Andrew, inherited the Lynn estates in county Waterford from his maternal grandfather. Walter Carew was among the principal lessors in the parish of Ardmore, barony of Decies-within-Drum, county Waterford in 1851 while Thomas Carew held townlands in the parish of Kilbarry, barony of Gaultiere at the same time. In December 1851 part of the estate of Walter John Carew in the barony of Decies-within-Drum was sold in the Encumbered Estates Court. The purchasers were George and Wright Sherlock. In the 1870s the estate of Robert Thomas Carew amounted to over 2300 acres in county Waterford.
Carew (Castleboro & Woodstown)
- The Carews were established as landowners in counties Wexford and Waterford since the seventeenth century. Sadleir, referring to the eighteenth century, mentions Shapland Carew of Castleboro serving as MP for Waterford, 1741-1776. Robert Shapland Carew was created Baron Carew in 1834. In the 1870s His son, also Robert Shapland, owned an estate of over 20,000 acres, including over 1900 acres in county Waterford, as well as property in Queen's County and county Wexford. . At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Lord Carew was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Kilmacomb and Kill St.Nicholas, barony of Gaultiere, county Waterford.