Watson (Clonmel & Quansbury)
- A Quaker family of Clonmel, county Tipperary, descended from Solomon Watson who married Abigail Boles/Bowles of Woodhouse [Magorban], county Tipperary in the early 18th century. The Boles lands of Clonbrogan and Buffana, barony of Middlethird were settled on the eldest son of this marriage. These lands, amounting to over 700 acres, the estate of Eliza, Countess Degenfeld Schomberg, [daughter and heir of John Johnston Watson of Clonbrogan], were advertised for sale in November 1857. The Freeman's Journal reported that they were purchased by R. Hemphill and J. Tappin. Members of the Watson family were merchants and bankers. The family residence was known as Summerville until the late 19th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Solomon Watson held an estate mainly in the parish of Kiltegan, barony of Iffa and Offa East but also in the parish of Inishlounaght, which he leased from Stephen Moore. At the same time the representatives of "- Watson, a lunatic" [John Watson eldest son of Solomon of Glenconnor] also held land in the parishes of Graystown and St Johnbaptist, barony of Slievardagh. In November 1868 the estate of the [Rev] George Newenham Watson (a Baptist minister based in London) at Knockforlagh, Arbourhill and Graystown, baronies of Slievardagh and Middlethird was advertised for sale. The estate was held on leases dated 1857 and 1868. ''The Irish Law Times and Solicitors Journal'' records the purchasers as Stanley Black, the Reverend Richard Toppin and Richard Hemphill. In the 1870s Solomon Watson owned 1,796 acres in county Tipperaray. His younger brother John Pim Watson of Stowlin, Eyrecourt, county Galway, is recorded as the owner of over 700 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. In 1906 Kate Watson, widow of John P. Watson, held over 500 acres of untenanted land at Stowlin.
- The Hemphills are descended from the Reverend Samuel Hemphill, described as a "distinguished Presbyterian controversialist" (Burke, 1904), who settled at Spring Hill, County Tipperary early in the 18th century. His second son, Edward of Spring Hill, a medical doctor, married Frances Despard of Killaghy Castle and they were the parents of Richard Hemphill. In 1766 his third son, John Hemphill of Cashel, married Elizabeth, daughter and co heiress of Edward Bacon of Rathkenny, county Tipperary. They had four sons and three daughters. By the mid 19th century Charles Hare Hemphill of Rathkenny (created 1st Baron Hemphill in 1906) held land in the parish of Peppardstown, barony of Middlethird, while Richard Hemphill held land in the parishes of Graystown and St Johnbaptist, barony of Slievardagh and Samuel Hemphill held land in the parishes of Kilconnell and Graystown, barony of Middlethird and Killenaule, barony of Slievardagh. In the 1870s Charles H. Hemphill of Dublin owned 437 acres, the Reverend Richard Hemphill of Dublin owned 670 acres, Robert Hemphill of Clonmel owned 1,783 acres and William D. Hemphill of Clonmel owned 152 acres in county Tipperary.
Robert and Samuel Hemphill were petitioners for the sale of the Terry property at Clonmel in 1872.