- In 1753 the Cavendish family, Dukes of Devonshire, inherited the Lismore estate, mainly located in county Waterford, following the death of the 4th Earl of Cork [and 3rd Earl of Burlington], father-in-law to the then Marquess of Hartington, later 4th Duke of Devonshire. In 1748 the Marquess had married Charlotte Boyle, only surviving child of the 4th Earl of Cork. In the 1870s, the estate of the Dukes of Devonshire in Ireland amounted to over 60,000 acres, including over 32,500 acres in county Cork and over 27,400 in county Waterford. The estate was a principal lessor in the county Cork parishes of Desertserges, barony of East Carbery, Inishcarra, barony of East Muskerry, Gortroe, barony of Barrymore, Brinny, Kilbrogan, Killowen, Murragh and Templemartin, barony of Kinalmeaky, Youghal, barony of Imokilly, St Finbarrs, barony of Cork, Aghera, Britway, Knockmourne, barony of Kinnatalloon but principally in the parishes of Ballynoe and Mogeely, barony of Kinnatalloon, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In addition, the Ordnance Survey Name Books of 1840 record the Duke as the proprietor of a townland in the parish of Corroge, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary. In 1861, the Duke offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court, houses in Dungarvan and Waterford City.
Families such as the O'Neills and Kirbys held large acreages from the Duke of Devonshire in the mid 19th century. Henry Eeles was agent to the Burlington later Devonshire estate in the 18th century. The Cavendish family continue to own property in and around the town of Lismore, county Waterford, including Lismore Castle.
Orpen (Elm Park)
- At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Orpen held land in the parishes of
Inchigeelagh, barony of West Muskerry and Cullen, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. John Herbert Orpen was a grandson of John Herbert Orpen, sixth son of the Reverend Thomas Orpen of Killowen, county Kerry and an eminent physician of Cork city in the late 18th century. His uncle the Rev. John E. Orpen was among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilmocomoge, barony of Bantry in the mid 19th century. The Reverend John E. Orpen married Frances daughter of Richard Ashe of Coolehane and they had four sons who all died childless. Their second son Richard Ashe Orpen of Lisheens and later of Elm Park, Cork, assigned Elm Park to his nephew Richard Ashe. Richard Ashe Orpen of Elm Park, Farran, owned 2,204 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.
Ashe (Ashgrove & Codrum)
- In the mid 19th century the Ashe estate was mainly located in the parishes of Kilnamartery and Clondrohid, barony of West Muskerry, county Cork. Richard and Edward Ashe were the proprietors. This estate of Richard Ashe, consisting of 1770 acres in the baronies of Fermoy and West Muskerry, was advertised for sale in December 1850. In January 1851 the Freeman's Journal reported that the purchasers were Messers. Adams, Robinson and Harding. The lands of Cooleyhane were offered for sale in May 1854 with other property. By the 1870s the estate had been sold and only 45 acres remained in the possession of Charles Evanson Ashe of Codrum, Macroom.
Orpen/Orpin (Cos Cork & Waterford)
- The Reverend Basil Orpin, rector of Ballyvourney, county Cork, was the son of the Reverend Abel Orpin, curate of Drishane, county Cork and a grandson of Robert Orpin of Dublin. W.M. Brady states that the Reverend Basil Orpin was ordained in 1786 and married Ellen Lewis, by whom he had 4 sons John, Benjamin, Richard and Basil and 4 daughters. His son Basil Orpin, a solicitor, was the legal adviser to the Duke of Devonshire's Irish estates from 1849-1879. Abel B. Orpen held land in the parish of Drishane, baronies of Duhallow and West Muskerry. John Orpen held land in the parish of Cullen, barony of Dunhallow. The Orpins bought the Marston estate from the Gumbletons in the mid 1850s. In the 1870s Basil Orpen of Marshtown, Lismore owned 403 acres in county Cork and 2,288 acres in county Waterford, while Abel Benjamin Orpen of Passage West owned 872 acres in county Cork. Abel B. Orpen was deceased by 1881 when the Cottrill estate at Passage East was offered for sale by his administratrix Catherine Pearson. John Orpin, a Dublin solicitor, who owned 220 acres in county Cork and 629 acres in county Cavan in the 1870s may also have been a member of this family.