- The FitzGibbon family were established at Ballysheedy, county Limerick, from the mid 18th century. In 1795 John FitzGibbon, 1st Viscount FitzGibbon, Lord Chancellor of Ireland, was created Earl of Clare. He was succeeded by two of his sons as 2nd and 3rd Earls. In 1826 the 2nd Earl married Elizabeth Burrell, daughter of Peter, 1st Lord Gwydyr. The title 'Earl of Clare' became extinct in 1864 following the death of the 3rd Earl. Mount Shannon was inherited by his daughter, Lady Louisa, who owned an estate of over 10,000 acres in county Limerick and over 3,000 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. Lady Louisa married twice. Her husbands were Gerald N. Dillon, sixth son of Viscount Dillon, and the Marchese della Rocella. Griffith's Valuation records the Earl of Clare holding lands in the parishes of Dunmoylan Kilbradran, Kilcolman, Kilfergus, Kilmoylan, Rathronan and Shanagolden, barony of Shanid, Clonagh, barony of Connelloe Lower, Abington, Killeenagarriff and Stradbally, barony of Clanwilliam and Ballingarry and Cloncagh, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick and Cloneen, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. Thomas Davenport was his agent in the 1840s. In June 1867 the estate of the trustees of the Earl's will, at Dromtrasna Harnett and Ballaghbehy North and South, parish of Abbeyfeale, barony of Glenquin, was advertised for sale. This property, amounting to 2,546 acres, was in the possession of Colonel Fitzgibbon of Ballysheedy at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Included in the sale were 91 acres in county Dublin. Members of the Harnett family were tenants on the Fitzgibbon estate in the parish of Abbeyfeale and were also among the purchasers of the Abbeyfeale lands. Other purchasers included Messers. Curtin, Sandes, Sheehy and Vereker. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Earl of Clare held at least four townlands in the parish of Cloneen, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary.
- In July 1853 the estate of James Condon continued in the name of his devisee Isabella O'Dell at Scart and Ardgoulmore, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick, was advertised for sale. It was held on a lease for ever from Charles Bridges Woodcock to James Condon dated 1792. In 1825 Diana daughter of Charles Bridges Woodcock married Richard Hobart Fitzgibbon 3rd Earl of Clare. She had previously been married to Maurice Crosby Moore from whom she was divorced by Act of Parliament.
Moore/Crosbie Moore (Mooresfort)
- At the time of Griffith's Valuation Maurice Crosbie Moore held an estate in the parish of Grean, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick, and Edward Crosbie Moore held land in the parishes of Ballynaclogh and Kilteely, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick and Lattin, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary. Maurice C. Moore was the son of Edward Moore of Mooresfort, county Tipperary and his wife Elizabeth Crosbie. In 1814 Maurice Crosbie Moore married Diana, daughter of Charles Brydges Woodcock. They were divorced in 1825 by an Act of Parliament and Diana married Richard Hobart Fitzgibbon a few months later. He became 3rd Earl of Clare in 1851. Maurice and Diana Moore had a daughter, Emily, who married Lord Cecil James Gordon, son of the 9th Marquess of Huntly in 1841. The Gordons assumed the additional name of Moore in 1850 and Lord Cecil is recorded in Griffith's Valuation as holding one townland of 48 acres in the parish of Grean. In June 1851 their estate of 1,887 acres in the barony of Coonagh, county Limerick was advertised for sale. The Freeman's Journal gives details of the purchasers. The Mooresfort estate of Henry Moore was advertised for sale in May 1852. It was bought by Charles Moore of Crookedstone, county Antrim.