- In 1861 Gibson, who was married to Margaret Justice, wrote that Duaragil Castle had been greatly improved by Doctor Justice of Mallow "whose family has been in possession of the property for nearly 200 years". The Justice family appear to have been resident in the Millstreet area of county Cork from the late 17th century. Thomas Holmes Justice of Mount Justice made his will in 1788. He refers to his wife Jane, his interest in lands at East and West Nockagarrane and the Castle lands of Duarrigle which he held from Robert Wrixon, his two sons Thomas and Robert and his daughter Margaret. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Thomas Holmes Justice held land in the parish of Cullen, barony of Duhallow, while Henry Justice was leasing land from John C. Wallace in the parish of Dromtarriff in the same barony. In April 1850 the interest of Thomas H. Justice in the lands of Duarrigil and West and East Knockagurrane amounting to 171 acres was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. These lands had been partitioned between Thomas H. Justice and his brother Robert in 1802. By the 1870s three members of the Justice family owned about 250 acres in county Cork. The sale of property owned by John Bolton Cooper Justice in the barony of Barrymore was adjourned in the Land Judges' Court in March 1886.
Wallis (Drishane Castle)
- A family established at Curraglass, Mogeely, county Cork, from the early 17th century. In 1703, Thomas Wallis of Curryglass bought part of the estate of the Earl of Clancarty, attainted, in the barony of Muskerry, county Cork. In 1721 George Wallis of Curraglass married his cousin, Elizabeth Wallis of Drishane, county Cork and their eldest son, Henry, eventually inherited the Drishane estate. In 1827, Henry's grandson, another Henry Wallis, married Ellen Grice Smyth of Ballynatray, county Waterford, and at the time of Griffith's Valuation his Drishane estate was mainly located in the parish of that name and in the parish of Mogeely, barony of Kinnatalloon. The Drishane branch of the family were living in Cornwall by the early 20th century. A junior branch of the Wallis family held an estate in the parish of Dromtarriff, barony of Duhallow, county Cork at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The Wallis were related to the Justices of Mount Justice. John Cooke Wallis [spelt Wallace in Griffith's Valuation] of Minehill was a grandson of Henry Wallis of Drishane and held five townlands in the parish of Dromtariff, most of them let to Henry Justice. In the 1870s the Drishane Castle estate amounted to 5,000 acres in county Cork and J. John Wallis of Cork owned 727 acres. The fee simple estate of Thomas Gerald Wallis at Kilnahoura, barony of Fermoy, was advertised for sale in November 1852. The Freeman's Journal reported that it was purchased in trust by Robert E. Gibbings. Property in Cork city and barony belonging to James Wallis, an insolvent, was advertised for sale during the 1850s.