The O'Dowds, once extensive landowners in Co Mayo, were dispossed by Cromwell, but retained some lands around Bunnyconnellan.
- In 1854 Charles Downing bought most of the O'Dowd estate in the parish of Kilgarven, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. With addresses at Oatlands, Ballina and Kingston, county Dublin, he is described as owning 4500 acres in county Mayo in 1876. He left the area in the early 20th century.
- At the beginning of the 18th century the O'Dowds retained part of their former estates centred around Bunnyconnellan or Bonniconlan, in the parish of Kilgarven, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. Most of the estate amounting to 4893 acres was purchased by Charles Downing in the Encumbered Estates' Court in November 1854.