- Edward Bourchier Hartopp of Dalby House, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, was the grandson of Edward Hartopp who married Juliana Evans, daughter of George, 3rd Lord Carbery, in 1782. Anthony Malcomson writes in his introduction to the Bisbrooke Papers that following the death of her brother, 4th Baron Carbery, in 1804 Mrs Hartopp inherited the unentailed part of the Irish property of her father. Edward B. Hartopp was one of the principal lessors in the county Kerry parishes of Kilcrohane, barony of Dunkerron South, Kilgarvan, barony of Glanarought and Killaha, barony of Magunihy, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. He also held land in the county Limerick parishes of Killeenoghty, barony of Pubblebrien, Killeedy, barony of Glenquin, Abington, Caherconlish and Inch St Lawrence, barony of Clanwilliam, Adare, Bruree, Croom, Killeenoghty, Killonahan and Uregare, barony of Coshma. David Roche was his agent circa 1840. In the 1870s his address is given as Leicester ad Bateman notes it as Dalby Hall, Melton Mowbray. He owned over 24,000 acres in county Kerry at that time, together with 4,545 acres in county Limerick and 2,467 acres in county Cork. In 1906 terms had been arranged by the Congested Districts Board for the purchase of over 15,000 acres of the Burns-Hartopp estate in county Kerry. This land was acquired by the Board in 1908.
- George Roche was Mayor of Limerick at the beginning of the 18th century and also represented the city in Parliament. His grandson David Roche of Carass, agent to Lord Carbery, married Frances Maunsell and was renting the mill at Carass from Lord Carbery in the late 18th century. Correspondence from David Roche as agent is to be found in the Bisbrooke Hall Papers. Their son David became a baronet in 1838. David Roche was agent to the Hartopp estate at the time of the first Ordnance Survey. Sir David Roche's county Limerick estate was in the parishes of Mungret, barony of Pubblebrien, Bruree, barony of Connello Upper and Croom, Drehidtarsna and Dysert, barony of Coshma. In the latter he rented land from Trinity College, Dublin, the Reverend John Delmege and Major Sullivan. Caherass was his seat where he owned flour mills valued at £203. Sir David Vandeleur Roche 2nd baronet owned 3,951 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. Griffith’s Valuation records Sir David Roche as the immediate lessor of four townlands in the parish of Clareabbey, barony of Islands, county Clare, previously the estate of the Peacocke family. His second son Standish O’Grady Roche owned 1,497 acres in county Clare in the 1870s. The house Barntick was leased to the Lyons family in the early 1850s and was eventually purchased by them in the late 19th century. The mother of Sir Michael Hogan, a very distinguished member of the British Colonial Service in the mid 20th century was a member of the Lyons family. Sir David Roche was the lessor of several townlands in the parish of Castleisland, county Kerry at the time of Griffith's Valuation and during the Ordnance Survey of the 1830s.
- The Barringtons settled in Limerick city at the end of the 17th century, Benjamin Barrington was sheriff in 1714. In the 1820s the Barringtons bought the Cappercullen estate from the Misses Preston, relatives of the Barons Carbery. Glenstal Abbey was built on this property. Joseph Barrington was created a baronet in 1831. He founded Barrington's Hospital in the city. At the time of Griffith's Valuation his son, Sir Matthew Barrington, 2nd Baronet, owned 16 townlands in the parish of Abington, barony of Owneybeg, county Limerick, property in the Liberties and city of Limerick and in the parishes of Caheravally, Caherconlish, Cahernarry, Clonkeen and Donaghmore, barony of Clanwillliam and Uregare, barony of Coshma. Daughters of Sir Matthew Barrington married Henry Barry, a Dublin barrister, and the Right Honourable George Augustus C. May, Lord Chief Justice of Ireland. In December 1856 the estate of Barry and May at Drumbanny, 1,398 acres in the barony of Clanwilliam, was advertised for sale. Sir Matthew Barrington was recorded as the immediate lessor of this property at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The fee simple estate of Barry and May at Little Kilrush in the Liberties of Limerick was advertised in April 1860. A lithograph of Limerick harbour is included in this rental. Sir Croker Barrington, 4th Baronet of Glenstal, owned 9,485 acres in the 1870s. In June 1850 the rentals of the Shouldham estate, 2890 acres in the barony of Coonagh, county Limerick and the Annaghbeg estate, 1177 acres in the barony of Tulla, county Clare, held by Thomas Williams and Croker Barrington, were advertised for sale. The Barringtons and the Williams of Drumcondra Castle, county Dublin were related. The Annaghbeg estate, which was previously Goold property, was held under fee farm grant from Colonel George Wyndham and the Shouldham estate under a lease in perpetuity. Griffith's Valuation records Daniel Barrington, second son of the 1st Baronet, holding three townlands in the parish of Kiltenanlea, barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare (the Annaghbeg estate) and in the parish of Doon, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick. The Ordnance Survey Name Book for the parish of Doon records from whom Daniel Barrington purchased land in that parish. Daniel Barrington was married to Anne Williams. Griffith's Valuation records the heirs of D. Barrington holding some land in the parish of Kilvellane, barony of Owney and Arrra, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Anne Barrington of Chester, England, owned 782 acres in that county. The Annaghbeg estate of George White West and William Jameson was advertised for sale again in June 1855. The petitioners were Sir Matthew Barrington and Thomas Williams.
- By the end of the 17th century Joseph Gubbins was settled at Knocklong, county Limerick. Joseph Gubbins, the younger, of Cloghur, county Limerick, was holding land in the barony of Smallcounty from the Evans family of Carass in 1713. His son also named Joseph moved to Kilfrush which was the Gubbins family's main residence throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. James Gubbins, a grandson of the first Joseph Gubbins of Kilfrush was the ancestor of the Kenmare Castle branch of the family. In 1790 George Stamer Gubbins of Kilfrush married Anne Russell and from their second son George Gubbins descend the Milltown branch of the family. The Gubbins held land in the parish of Kilfrush, barony of Smallcounty, and in the 1870s Joseph Gubbins of Kilfrush owned 809 acres in the county while his younger brother Thomas Wise Gubbins of Dunkettle, county Cork, owned 773 acres. Joseph Gubbins of Grange was the owner of 151 acres and George Gubbins of Miltown had 208 acres. Other family members owned various other acreages in county Limerick. The county Cork estate of John Gubbins of Bruree House, Kilmallock, amounted to 952 acres in the 1870s while Gubbins and Lowe of Bruree were the owners of 827 acres. In the 18th century another branch of the Gubbins family lived at Maidstown and intermarried with the Blakeney and Gough families. The Considine Papers in the National Library show that they later leased Maidstown to the Coll family.
- John Evans, of Welsh descent, settled in the city of Limerick in the early 17th century. In 1666 George Evans was granted 2,376 acres in counties Limerick and Tipperary. The Right Honourable George Evans of Bulgaden Hall, parish of Uregare, county Limerick, married Mary, a daughter of John Eyre of Eyre Court, county Galway in 1679. Their eldest son George was created Baron Carbery of Carbery, county Cork, in 1715. He married Anne Stafford of Blatherwick. The descendants of their eldest son George died out in the main line and it was the grandson of their second son, John Evans Freke of Bulgaden Hall, who eventually became the 6th Baron. He was succeeded by his nephew, George Patrick Evans Freke, in 1845. In the early 1850s Baroness Carbery, widow of the 6th Baron, held land in the parishes of Athneasy, Kilbreedy Major, Uregare, baronies of Smallcounty, Coshma and Coshlea, county Limerick, and in the parish of Athnowen, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork. In the 1870s Lord Carbery of Castlefreke, county Cork, owned 13,692 acres in county Cork, 2,724 acres in county Limerick and much smaller estates in counties Kilkenny and Queen's county [county Laois]. The Parliamentary Return of 1876 records Stewart and Kincaid as his land agents. The representatives of Lady Carbery's estate were among the principal lessors in the parishes of Dromdaleague, Durrus, Tullagh, barony of West Carbery, the parishes of Kilkerranmore and Rathbarry, barony of Ibane & Barryroe and the parishes of Ross and Fanlobbus, barony of East Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Lord Carbery was among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilbrittain, barony of East Carbery, at the same time. The estate was sold by John, Lord Carbery, in 1919.
Browning (Cos Waterford & Limerick)
- The Brownings were a Gloucestershire family who settled in county Waterford in the late 17th century. In 1785 Thomas Browning of Richmond, county Waterford, married Jane Norris of Limerick. Their son, Jeffrey Browning, purchased Carass Court, parish of Croom, county Limerick, from Lord Carbery, and this house was the family's main residence for the 19th century. Jeffrey Browning married his cousin Francis Roche, sister of Sir David Roche 1st baronet, and had 19 children. In the 1870s Emily Browning of Carass Court owned 228 acres in county Limerick while her son Thomas W. Browning also of Carass Court owned 238 acres in county Limerick, 238 acres in county Cork and 898 acres in county Waterford. Thomas Browning was among the principal lessors in the parish of Rossmire, barony of Decies-without=Drum in that county in 1851. Sadleir notes an earlier member of the family, Samuel Browning, as "of Affane" in 1775, who was connected with the Musgraves. The estate of Hull Stephen Browning, a member of this family, at Clonpriest, barony of Imokilly, was advertised for sale in July 1871. The Brownings had inherited Clonpriest through marriage with the Haymans.
Evans (Ash Hill Towers)
- A branch of the Evans family, Barons Carberys, descended from Thomas Evans of Miltown Castle, county Cork, Member of Parliament for Castlemartyr, who, in 1721, married Mary Waller of county Limerick. Their eldest son, Eyre of Milltown Castle, married a county Limerick heiress, Mary Williams, and their eldest son was Eyre Evans of Ash Hill Towers. Their second son, Reverend Thomas Waller Evans, was ancestor of the Evans of Knockaderry, county Limerick. Most of the estate of this family was in county Cork. In December 1858 over 900 acres in the baronies of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork and Pubblebrien, county Limerick, part of the estate of Elystan Eyre Evans, a minor, were advertised for sale, by his guardians. Another sale of parts of E.E. Evans estate in the baronies of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork, Coshlea, county Limerick and Granard, county Longford was advertised in June 1860. These lots were sold to Mr. Cagney and G.F. Ralph. Elystan Eyre Evans of Ash Hill Towers owned 2,148 acres in county Cork and 264 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. Over 500 acres in counties Cork and Limerick including Ashhill Towers and demesne were advertised for sale in June 1877. The sale of many of these lots was adjourned due to insufficient bidding but some lots were sold in trust.
- The Reverend Thomas Waller Evans was the second son of Thomas Evans of Miltown Castle, county Cork and younger brother of Eyre Evans of Ash Hill Towers, county Limerick. In 1763 he married Catherine, daughter of James Conyers D'Arcy of Knockaderry House, county Limerick, sole heiress of her brother, Colonel James D'Arcy. Their grandson, Thomas D'Arcy Evans, held land in the parishes of Clonelty, Grange and Killeedy, barony of Glenquin, and Corcomohide, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The D'Arcy Evans also held land in the parishes of Kilmeen, barony of Duhallow and Kilbolane, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork. Lands belonging to Thomas D. Evans in counties Limerick and Cork were advertised for sale in July 1851. The county Cork lands at Knockaclarig, barony of Duhallow, were held under a lease from Nicholas Lysaght to Edward Darcy dated 8 May 1712. In November 1859, over 300 acres in the barony of East Carbery , the property of Thomas Waller Eyre Evans, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The petitioner to the sale was John D'Arcy Evans. The latter had offered over 500 acres of his estate in counties Cork and Limerick for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in April 1857. Some of this property was purchased by John G. Daunt while other lots were bought back by D'Arcy Evans. Thomas D'Arcy Evans of Knockaderry owned 1,170 acres in county Cork and 875 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. His younger brother, John Darcy Evans of Clontarf, county Dublin, owned 509 acres in county Cork. In the 1870s Thomas D'Arcy Evans and his wife, Thomasina Eliza (Reeves of Belfort), held 427 acres in common with Mrs Margaret Leyne, Wilson Gun and Charles Evans of Limerick and his wife. This land in the baronies of Clanwilliam and Coshlea, county Limerick, was advertised for sale in February 1876 with lands in the town of Charleville and the demesne of Belfort.
- In 1702 and 1703 Percy Freke of Rathbarry [Castle Freke], county Cork, purchased parts of various forfeited estates in the baronies of Muskerry, West Carbery and Ibane and Barryroe. The Freke family came to Ireland in the seventeenth century and acquired parts of the Barry estates in the barony of West Carbery. In the eighteenth century the bulk of this estate became part of the Evans, Lords Carbery estate when John Evans married Grace Freke. Rev. James Freke of Glanmire was the owner of over 1900 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.