- Thady Quin (1645-1726) of Adare, county Limerick, had two sons from whom descend the Earls of Dunraven and the Quins of Rosbrien. In 1707, Thady's eldest son, Valentine Quin, married Mary Widenham and had two sons, Widenham and George of Quinsborough, county Clare. Valentine Richard Quin, eldest son of Widenham, was created 1st Earl of Dunraven in 1822. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Dunraven estate was mainly located in the parish of Adare, baronies of Kenry and Coshma, county Limerick, but the Earl also held land in the parishes of Kildimo and Croom, barony of Kenry and in the parishes of Ballingarry and Kilfinny, barony of Connello Upper, Abbeyfeale, barony of Glenquin and Anhid, Croom, Drehidtarsna and Dysert, barony of Coshma. The estate also held lands in the county Tipperary parish of Moyaliff, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper. His agent circa 1840 was [his cousin] Gamaliel Fitzgerald [Magrath] of George's St, Limerick. In the 1870s his estate was comprised of 14,298 acres. He was recorded as the proprietor of 164 acres in county Clare and over 850 acres in county Kerry at the same time.
- The Goold estate was mainly in the parishes of Rathronan (10 townlands) and Ardagh, barony of Shanid, county Limerick but this family also held land in the parishes of St Michaels, barony of Pubblebrien, Mahoonagh and Monagay, barony of Glenquin and Kilmurry, barony of Clanwilliam. Maurice Roach was agent to Thomas Goold, Master in Chancery, Dublin, in the early 1840s. The Dunraven genealogy traces the lineage of Thomas Goold, who was a great grandson of John Quin of Rosbrien, near Limerick city, born in 1692. Thomas Goold bought the Athea estate from Lord Courtenay in 1817, see http://www.limerickdioceseheritage.org/Athea/pplAthea.htm His son Wyndham Goold, Member of Parliament for county Limerick (died 1854), was the proprietor by the early 1850s. In the 1870s Wyndham's brother Archdeacon Goold of Athea, county Limerick, owned 10,966 acres in the county. In 1873 the Archdeacon's daughter and co heiress, Frances Goold, married Reverend Hamilton Stuart Verschoyle of county Donegal and their son, Hamilton Frederick Stuart Goold Verschoyle, assumed the additional name of Goold. The Archdeacon's sister, Augusta Charlotte, married her cousin, the 3rd Earl of Dunraven. In 1906 the representatives of the Venerable F.F. Goold held about 400 acres of untenanted land at Athea Upper.
Goold (Old Court)
- The Golds/Goolds were an old family associated with the city of Cork. George Goold was established at Old Court near the city in the mid 18th century. He married Mary Catherine, eldest daughter of James Galway. Their second son, Francis Goold, was created a baronet in 1801 and was succeeded by his nephew George as 2nd Baronet in 1818. In 1802 George married Lady Charlotte Browne, daughter of the Earl of Kenmare. The Goold estate was first advertised for sale in November 1851. It was comprised of over 2,100 acres in county Cork, 2,300 acres in county Tipperary and 277 acres in county Limerick and included the head rent of a number of mansion houses in the Mallow locality of county Cork. The sale rental includes details relating to the bidding and to the purchasers. Murdock Green and Robert Potter purchased portions of the Cork estate while lands in Tipperary were purchased by John Adair. . At the time of Griffith's Valuation the county Tipperary estate was in the parishes of Loughmoe East and West, barony of Eliogarty and Clonbullogue, barony of Clanwilliam. In June 1874, over 650 acres owned by Sir Henry Valentine Goold in the barony of East Carbery, county Cork, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The purchaser was Thomas Beamish.
Henry M. Goold held land at Gooldshill, parish of Mallow in the 1850s. Henry Michael Goold was a nephew of the first baronet. The estate of Henry Michael Francis Goold amounting to 7,686 acres in the baronies of Eliogarty (parishes of Loughmoe East and West), Ikerrin and Clanwilliam, county Tipperary and 826 acres in the baronies of Fermoy and Duhallow, including Goold's Hill were advertised for sale in August 1852. Members of the Goold family had connections with other county Cork localities and with the city of Limerick. George Goold of Aughrim owned 183 acres and Theobald Goold of Cork city owned 138 acres in the 1870s. In November 1877 the 155 acre estate of George Goold at Aughrim, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, was advertised for sale. It was held on a renewal lease from St John Galway to George Goold dated 3 July 1847.