- Frances, youngest daughter of the Reverend John Brown and his wife Meliora Southwell of Mount Brown, county Limerick, married Michael Cantillon Heffernan of Castleroberts in the late 18th century. In 1840 Caroline or Catherine Browning of Carass Court, county Limerick, married John Cantillon Heffernan. Two of their daughters married sons of Arthur Russell of Lemonfield. They had four sons and five daughters. John C. Heffernand was leasing an estate in the parish of Kilmoylan, barony of Shanid, county Limerick, from the Board of Trinity College, Dublin, in the mid 19th century. He also held land in the parish of Monasteranenagh, barony of Coshma and he and his partners held land in the parishes of Killeedy, Grange and Monagay, barony of Glenquin and Ballingarry, barony of Connello Upper. In February the fee farm estate of Ida and Mary Caroline Wallace at Mainster including the dwelling house and also premises in Limerick city were advertised for sale. In the 1870s, the representatives of John Cantillon Heffernan, with an address at TCD, owned 276 acres in the county. John Heffernan Cantillon of Mannister House, Croom is also recorded as owning 2,465 acres in county Limerick at this time. The names Heffernan Cantillon and Cantillon Heffernan were both used in various sources but appear to refer to the same family.
Trinity College, Dublin, Provost & Fellows (Munster)
- In 1666 the Provost, Fellows and Scholars of Trinity College, Dublin, were granted a total of 61,017 acres in the counties of Limerick, Kerry, Tipperary, Cork and Waterford. Most of this land, 54,479 acres, was in county Kerry. The College's estates in county Kerry amounted to over 10,000 acres in the 1870s, including lands in the parish of Rattoo, barony of Clanmaurice and the village of Ballylongford, barony of Iraghticonnor. An offer was made by the Congested Districts Board on over 9600 acres of the College's county Kerry estate after 1909. The College owned 979 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. In the mid 19th century this property, which was in the parish of Kilmoylan, barony of Shanid, was leased to John Cantillon Heffernan. In Griffith's Valuation the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College, Dublin, are recorded as the the immediate lessors of land in the parishes of Dungourney, barony of Imokilly, county Cork and Bruis and Clonbeg, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary. In the 1870s they owned 893 acres in county Tipperary.