- The Bindon family were located in the counties of Clare and Limerick from the late 17th century. David Bindon was granted the lands of Clooney [in 1668] and a share of property in Limerick city. In the 1770s Bindon esq is marked as occupying a house [Skehacreggaun house "in ruins" at time of first Ordnance Survey] near Mungret Abbey, parish of Mungret, barony of Pubblebrien, county Limerick. Wilson mentions the seat of Mr. Bindon close to the ruins of Mungret Abbey in 1786. The Bindon estate in county Clare was centred on the parish of Clooney, barony of Bunratty Upper and they also had oyster beds at Corranroe in the Burren. Francis Bindon (1689-1765), the well know architect and artist, was the fourth son of David Bindon, Member of Parliament for county Clare and his wife Dorothy Burton of Buncraggy. Francis Bindon left the Clooney estate to his brother Nicholas. In 1772 Nicholas Bindon's daughter Elizabeth married William Blood of Roxton. By the early 19th century the Clooney estate was in the possession of Burton Bindon. Burton Bindon sold the family estates in the Encumbered Estates Court on 7 June 1853 and emigrated to Australia. The sale included 962 acres of prime land for fattening cattle and the red bank Burren oyster beds. The Freeman's Journal reported that Clooney was bought by W. B. Fitzgerald for over £10,000. The lands in the barony of Burren, including the oyster beds, were purchased in trust by Mr.Guinness. Clooney was later rebought by Bindon's daughter and her husband, Joseph Hall. Joseph Hall of Clooney is recorded as the owner of 604 acres in county Clare in the 1870s. http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Woods/6322/History/cloony.htm Judge Samuel Henry Bindon (1812-1879), minister of Justice, judge and pioneer of technical education in Australia, was born in Limerick, the son of Samuel Bindon and Eliza Massy. He married Susannah daughter of Sir Hugh Dillon Massy and emigrated to Victoria in 1855. In October 1851 land in the barony of Pubblebrien, county Limerick, belonging to Henry, Anne, Bryanna and Marcella Bindon and to Mrs Frances Alton was advertised for sale. Mrs Alton is recorded in Griffith's Valuation as owning 3 townlands in the parish of Mungret, barony of Pubblebrien.