Dennis (Clanmaurice & Baltinglass)
- Thomas Stratford Dennis of Fortgranite, Baltinglass, county Wicklow, owned over 3500 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s. Burke states that this branch of the Dennis family were descended from the Swifte family of Swiftesheath, county Kilkenny and Lynn, county Westmeath. In the 1780s, Rev. Meade Swifte succeeded to the county Kerry estates of his maternal uncle James Dennis, Lord Tracton, of Tracton Abbey, county Cork and adopted the surname Dennis. He held several townlands in the parish of Killehenny, barony of Iraghticonnor at the time of Griffith's Valuation. John Dennis was the lessor of several townlands in the parish of Murcher in the same barony at that time.
- Hugo Read writes that in the mid 18th century John Dennis, a Quaker, was a timber merchant in Cork. He married Sarah Newenham and had an only child Elizabeth who married in 1763 Cooper Penrose. Through this marriage the Penroses inherited property in Cork city. Another member of this family was James Dennis, Baron Tracton of Tracton Abbey. Born in 1721 he was the son of John Dennis, a timber merchant of Kinsale and his wife Anne Bullen. James Dennis became a barrister and later a Member of Parliament. He was also legal adviser to the Earl of Shannon and in 1781 was made a Baron. In 1769 he married Elizabeth Piggott, daughter of Edmund Piggott of Chetwynd, county Cork. When Baron Tracton died in 1782 without an heir he left his estate in county Kerry to his eldest nephew the Reverend Meade Swift and his estates in counties Cork and Dublin to his other nephew John Swift, both of whom took the additional surname of Dennis. At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Dennis held an estate in the parishes of Carrigaline, Rathcooney and St Annes Shandon, barony of Cork, county Cork. In the 1870s the representatives of James Denis owned 1,029 acres in county Cork.