- The Herberts were granted land in Kerry during the reign of Elizabeth I. Smith indicates that two members of the family received lands in Kerry after the Desmond rebellion, Sir William Herbert received over 13,000 acres while Charles Herbert received over 3000 acres. The Herbert who eventually settled there was Thomas, descended from a family in Montgomery, Powys, in Wales. Over the next three centuries they were to remain amongst the foremost families in Kerry. Henry Arthur Herbert, MP, was one of the principal lessors of property in the baronies of Dunkerron North and Magunihy, as well as holding some property in the barony of Trughanacmy, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. In the 1870s his estate amounted to over 47,000 acres in county Kerry. The centre of this large estate was at Muckross, close to Killarney, much of it now included in the Killarney National Park. The family fortunes declined systematically in the late 19th century and most of the estate was sold in the 1890s. An offer was made by the Congested Districts Board on over 400 acres of the Herbert estate in 1914.
- The Herberts of Cahernane descended from the same family as those at Muckross. Smith indicates that two members of the family received lands in Kerry after the Desmond rebellion, Sir William Herbert received over 13,000 acres while Charles Herbert received over 3000 acres. Over 300 acres of Rev. Richard Herbert's estate at Tullig, barony of Magunihy, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1858. In 1865, the Brewsterfield property of Arthur Orpen and Elizabeth Herbert was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court as well as premises in Killarney town. The sale in July was adjourned due to insufficient bidding. In the 1870s the Cahernane family estate amounted to over 3000 acres in county Kerry. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation, the representatives of Rev. B. Herbert were among the principal lessors in the parish of Killaha while Rev. Edward Herbert was a principal lessor in the parish of Kilnanare, both in the barony of Magunihy. Rev. Richard Herbert held several townlands in the parish of Currans, barony of Trughanacmy. Lands held under lease by Timothy Kennedy from Rev. Richard Herbert's estate were offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in 1881.
- Over 2700 acres of the estate of George Lloyd, situtated in the barony of Trughanacmy, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court, in December 1851 and November 1852. The sale notice indicates that these lands were held on lease from Henry Arthur Herbert. The Herbert estate, in turn, had held them on lease from the Hollow Blades Company, since 1709. The Freeman's Journal reported in December 1851 that the purchaser was George Thompson.
- In the mid 19th century the Reverend Edward Thomas Herbert held an estate in the parish of Kilnamanagh, barony of Bear, count Cork. He was a great grandson of Edward Herbert of Muckross, county Kerry. His son Gustavus Herbert of London, owned 1,695 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.