- The Dillon family held a large estate on the border of counties Mayo and Roscommon. They were descended from the Norman family who had first become established in county Westmeath. Theobald Dillon of Loughglynn was granted over 4,700 acres by patent in December 1680. The main part of their estate was in county Mayo where they owned extensive lands in the parishes of Aghamore, Annagh, Bekan, Castlemore, Knock, Kilbeagh, Kilcolman and Kilmovee in the barony of Costello. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Anne McDonnell was leasing over 130 acres from the Dillon estate at Calveagh, barony of Costello. In 1876 Viscount Dillon owned 83,749 acres in county Mayo, 5435 in county Roscommon and 136 in county Westmeath. He sold his estate in counties Mayo and Roscommon, amounting to 93,652 acres, to the Congested Districts' Board on 11 May 1899.
The Stricklands were agents for the Dillon estate. In 1828 Jerrard Strickland of Loughglynn was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon.
- Members of the Strickland family acted as agents for the Dillon estate at Loughglynn, county Roscommon. According to the Irish Tourist Association File the town of Charlestown is called after Charles Strickland, agent to Lord Dillon, who had the town built in opposition to Bellahy, on the Knox estate. In 1872, Charles Strickland resided at Loughglinn House. Charles and Thomas Strickland offered lands for sale in the barony of Frenchpark, the property of Francis Ellison, deceased.