- Martin McDonnell was a merchant from Roscommon who prospered significantly in the mid 19th century. He held eight townlands in the parish of Boyounagh, barony of Tiaquin, one townland in the parish of Tuam, barony of Clare and one townland in the parish of Dunmore, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway at time of Griffith's Valuation. P. Lane writes that McDonnell bought almost 6,000 acres of Lord Fitzgerald's estate in the vicinity of Dunmore in the early 1850s. By the 1870s he owned over 9,000 acres in county Galway, 2,940 acres in county Roscommon and three acres in county Mayo. The lands in Roscommon included property in the parish of Kiltullagh, barony of Castlereagh. Sister T.Delaney writes that in 1893 he bought Headford Castle and much of the town. Over 3,000 acres of the estate of his son, James McDonnell, in county Galway was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 24 Mar 1911 and a further 1,000 acres in February 1912. The Congested Districts' Board was negotiating the purchase of some of McDonnell's county Roscommon estate in 1916. Martin McDonnell also had a son named Farrell. Sister Delaney writes that Farrell went to Clongowes and married the daughter of Frank McDonagh of Wilmount, Portumna. She also records James McDonnell residing at Waterslade, Tuam and at Castle Ellen, Athenry.
Lynch (Castlereagh & Roseberry)
- The Lowberry estate of Martin Lynch, of Roseberry, county Galway, containing over 3,000 acres, located in the barony of Castlereagh, county Roscommon, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court, in January 1851. Charles Lynch was the petitioner and the Freeman's Journal reported that he purchased many of the lots. Thomas Nolan, trustee of Charles Lynch, offered the Lowberry estate for sale again in May 1856. In 1828 Francis Lynch of Lowberry was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. Some of this estate was bought by McDonnell of Dunmore.