Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
A house called Kentville was occupied by the Martin family in the late 18th century though Wilson mentions a Mr. Irwin living there in 1786. By 1824 Thomas Redington was occupying Glenlo, which became the home of Thomas Blake in the mid 19th century and of the Palmers in the late 19th century. Now functions as a hotel.
|Kentfield||Rahoon||Galway||Galway Rural 45||Galway||Galway||
M268 283 Discovery map #45. OS Sheet #82.
In 1786 Wilson writes that "Dangin" was the seat of Richard Martin, "beautifully situated on the banks of the fine river Corrib". Occupied by George Symmes in 1814. The Ordnance Survey Books describe it as "a 3 storey house belonging to the proprietor of the townland, Thomas Redington". It remained the home of the Redington family for most of the 19th century. The house labelled Dangan House on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map is located very close to the bank of the River Corrib (M283277). By the 1890s it has moved to a site in closer to the centre of the townland. It is now occupied by the Cunningham family who run a garden centre at the same location. A property known as "Dangan Cottage" was located nearby (M280274) but is described as "in ruins" on the 25-inch Ordnance map of the 1890s. Kinmonth states that this property was leased by American artists, including J. Lizzie Cloud, in the 1870s.
|Dangan Lower||Rahoon||Galway||Galway Rural 45||Galway||Galway||
M284274 Discovery map #45. OS Sheet #82.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links