Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
This property has been the home of the Grubb family since the mid 19th century. Griffith's Valuation indicates that it was then held from the Earl of Glengall and the house, offices and flour mill were valued at £122. The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage dates the present house circa 1860 although a lithograph of a very similar building is included in the Glengall sale rental of November 1853 for Castlegrace. Lewis records in 1837 that an extensive flour mill had recently been built by Samuel Grubb of Clogheen. The buildings at Castlegrace were valued at £115 in 1906. This house is still a Grubb family home. http://www.vee.ie/page2.html
|Castlegrace||Tullaghorton||Clogheen||Tullaghorton 64||Iffa and Offa West||Tipperary||
S030 144 Discovery map #74. OS Sheet #87.
The original castle was burnt circa 1820 (Bence Jones) when the owner was Henry Grace Langley. His nephew Major Henry Langley began to build a Medieval Revival castle to the design of William V. Morrison but died when only the gate tower was completed. The Irish Tourist Association surveyor wrote that it was to be a replica of Warwick Castle. In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books commented that Brittas Castle was "a modern unfurnished building on a most magnificent scale but in all probability it will never be finished"! In the mid 19th century Henry Langley held the castle valued at £30 from the Court of Chancery. The sale rental of December 1853 records Thomas Kirwan as the tenant of the castle and 464 acres for 7 years from 25 March 1851 pending the cause of Langley v Langley. From 1853 Brittas belonged to the Knox family who lived in a single storey house located behind the gate tower. This house was described as a mansion house in 1906, valued at £25 and occupied by Fitzroy Knox.
|Brittas||Thurles||Thurles||Thurles Rural 143||Eliogarty||Tipperary||
S125 605 Discovery map #60. OS Sheet #41.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links