Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
A Taylor residence which passed by marriage to the Massy family. In1786 Wilson describes it as" the pleasant seat of Mr. Massey". The townland of Ballynort, 657 acres, was held in fee by Standish O'Grady and E.T. Massy at the time of Griffith's Valuation. This house is marked "in ruins" on the first Ordnance Survey map. The buildings were valued at £4+. There is no trace of the house on the 25-inch Ordnance Survey map of the 1890s.
|Ballynort||Askeaton||Rathkeale||Iveruss 122||Connello Lower||Limerick||
R358 524 Discovery map #64. OS Sheet #11.
This property was held in fee by the representatives of Carew O'Grady at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £22. Lewis noted it as the seat of Carew O'Grady in 1837. Local sources suggest that he had purchased it, c.1824, from the Pomeroy family, who had purchased it from the Earl of Shannon in the later seventeenth century. The original castle was replaced by the existing house in the 1830s. The property is now a farm and cookery school. See www.thompsonsfarmshop.com
W771607 Discovery map #87. OS Sheet #99.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links