Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
The Reeks or Baunclune
The McGillycuddy was in possession of the property at Whitefield at the time of Griffith’s Valuation when it was valued at £24 10s. Lewis and Leet also refer to Whitefield as a seat of The McGillycuddy in 1837 and 1814 respectively. Leet, however, also notes McGillycuddy Reeks as the address of McGillycuddy esq. In 1906 it was McGillycuddy property and valued at £24. Bary states that the house was originally known as The Reeks after the family title but that it was changed to Whitefield in the early 19th century by Richard McGillycuddy. However, on both the 1st and 25-edition Ordnance Survey maps it is labelled Baunclune. In more recent times it is known as The Reeks. This is how it is referred to by the Irish Tourist Association surveyor in the early 1940s who states that it was the the home of "Ross Kinloch, the MacGillycuddy of the Reeks and a member of Seanad Eireann". The house is still extant and occupied.
|Whitefield||Knockane||Killarney||Kilgobnet 79||Dunkerron North||Kerry||
V834938 Discovery map #72. OS Sheet #57.
James Donovan, MD, was leasing Coolgarriv House from The McGillycuddy’s estate at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, when it was valued at £12 10s. Bary, quoting the Ordnance Survey Name Books, states that Coolgarriv House was built by the Eager family in the 1830s at a cost of £900. It is still extant and occupied.
|Coolgarriv||Aghadoe||Killarney||Killarney Rural 71||Magunihy||Kerry||
V958931 Discovery map #78. OS Sheet #66.